London Marathon

Tuesday 8 March 2011

The Grey Cloud Lifting

I must confess, I have avoided writing on the blog this week so far because I have been consumed by a feeling of dread and depression. The dark clouds of doubt and inadequacy overwhelmed me early Sunday morning as Jess and I trotted out to begin our longest run to date (a 17 mile belter). Not even a mile from the front door I knew something was not quite right, the feeling in my right calf was very tight and I just thought that it was because I had had a relatively easy week because of my left knee - which incidentally is feeling much better. Alas! It was not to be so simple and after stretching and jogging, and stretching and more jogging it was just getting worse. Oh dear! I knew it, I was injured. Not like before. This time it would really lay me up for a few days and it would need a rigorous routine of ice, compression and love. Not ideal 6 weeks from the big day really, but all the more necessary if I wanted to make it to the start line in tip top condition. It's at this point that I should mention that I am becoming increasingly aware of my new found obsession for this marathon. I listen to podcasts, read books on sports injury and the London Marathon itself. I stalk the marathon store in Covent Garden ogling the VLM merch... Get a life! Well after April 17th.. Anyway, enough of the solemn vibe, the grey clouds have lifted today - hip hooray! The knee is feeling very good, the calm is improving rapidly to the point were I'm doing strengthening exercises with little to no discomfort, so I'm feeling 100% more optimistic about the start of the marathon (not that it was ever in jeopardy, I was just being a drama queen). Not only this but there has been a big increase in the sponsorship money thanks largely to Mum and Dad and a second donation from Ron and Tony, which brings the total to approx £1600, just another £400 pound until the target number 1 is reached. Thank you so much for all your donations, Oxfam will be very happy with the money - it goes to wonderful causes. Now I hear what you are saying to yourselves at your computers, "now Ben, don't go out too hard on your next run, wouldn't want to re-injure your knee or calf." All I can say is I know, there's no need to panic. Slowly, slowly catchy monkey. B